Tuesday, January 31, 2012

2002 EVC T4 2.5l TDI conversion and Syncro conversion w/02G trans

OK, this one is long over due.  This is the new high bar for TDIpowered.  We're always inching it upwards, but this one is more like a leap:  2002 EVC TDI and syncro conversion that is currently done and in the test drive phase.  This drove here from Alaska with a VR6 engine and automatic trans, and will leave with a 140hp 300ft/lbs 2.5l ACV engine, and a 5-spd 02G syncro trans.  Yes, this is a possibility and should've been a factory option here in the US, IMO.

2002 EVC TDI and Syncro conversion

VR6 to 5-cyl ACV TDI conversion and auto trans to Syncro 5-spd conversion:
Step 1: Clean the palette

 VR6 engine and auto trans removed, along with wiring.
 Now we have room to work our magic. 

Magic to follow....

ACV 2.5L TDI engine and 02G syncro transmission:

 This motor had great compression #s (500psi all 5 within 10psi), so we opted to refurb all the seals/gaskets and critical bolts rather than a full rebuild.  We also had the IP and turbo fully rebuilt by the finest rebuilders in all the land.

The  trans was shipped over to GTA and the build parts were special ordered from Germany--a process that took over 2-mths (long story....), but here it finally sits, rebuilt trans, and buttoned up 5-cyl TDI eng ready to be mated together.
 Back side of ACV eng and closer view of 02G trans.  This sucker is heavy and a whole lot beefier than the already beefy 02B that was sold domestically.
 Flywheel/clutch and press plate installed and tranny mated to eng.
 Eyeballing its new home: the white 02 EVC on the R.
 Another pic of mated eng/trans, this one with the R extension arm that has the output flange for the driveline.
 Closer rear view of eng/trans.
 Front view of mated eng/trans.  Only a matter of mins now before this combo is hung in eng bay.

 Side view of mated eng/trans.  

 Eng installed in EV.
 2.5L TDI hanging happily in its new home.
 Front view with bumper/core support removed.
 Bumper re-installed.
 Engine feeling snug and cozy now.

 Final IP timing to be set and belt cover to be installed.

 Radiator and condenser re-installed.

 Front grill installed.

And of course the front TDI badge installed!

Some vids of the action:

***All pics and conversion work done by Grease Works and TDIpowered.

Mod of the Month: 93 EV weekender rear disc brake conversion

Back in the saddle with lots of pics and info to post--long over due.  To ease my way back here's a quick diversion to a mod I did on my 93 EV weekender last week.  Overall conversion process was fairly involved, but not too demoralizing.  Having all the parts on hand and all the prep work done was key and having a lift, good lighting, and a sweet aluminum jack made it doable in a few hours time.  I had thought about having the new trailing arms all built up with the rotors/brake calipers all installed before I installed the trailing arms, but all that extra weight made me think twice about that.  So instead I installed the bare trailing arms and built them up with the brakes after install.

Rear disc brake conversion--93 Eurovan Weekender

Call from wife on cell phone:
W:  Hey the van won't move, E-brake is stuck on.
J:  OK, where are you at, and are you in a safe location? ;-)
W: Around the corner, it wouldn't let go so I just gave it more juice and now it's free but the brakes feel funny....

That's my girl.  Well the L side shoes separated from the metal carriers which certainly will make the brakes feel funny.  That prompted this little disc brake diversion that was waiting in the wings for 6-mths....

Those are the shoe linings sitting in the brake drum on the ground.

To accomplish this mod the rear trailing arms from an EV with disc brakes must be must be installed.  I saved the set from the 98 T4 syncro front clip and gave them a serious POR-15 treatment, as they apparently salt the roads in Germany....

Yikes.  Pre- POR-15 treatment.  Rotors were scrapped as was what remained of the debris shield, calipers, and wheel bearings.  Disassembly was oh so fun...
Drum brake trailing arm on L, disc trailing arm on R.

Disc trailing arms were hot tanked, sanded, three stages of the POR-15 process for curing rust.  Then new bearings and hubs were pressed in.

Old drum brake trailing arms are removed from vehicle, brake lines disconnected, shocks/springs removed, etc.

 Disc on L, drum on R.

New trailing arm installed.

 After all the prep work due to the rusty arms, the disc brake conversion went  rather quickly.  Install new trailing arms, install brake lines, install new flexible brake hoses inner/outer, install sweet drilled German Zimmerman rotors, new debris shield and new Ate calipers.

Zimmerman rotor, new hub, and new brake caliper and pads.
 Yes these are ready for ABS but not sure I'll get to that mod any time soon ;-).

 L side finished rear brake conversion.  And yes those are air pillows in my rear shocks for stiffing up the rear suspension when towing.
 R side finished rear brake conversion.
 Wide angle from below from front.
 Stainless brake hose, inner.

  Stainless brake hose, outer.
 Wide angle from rear.

***All pics and conversion work done by Grease Works and TDIpowered.